The academy aims to maintain a broad and balanced child-centred curriculum. We aim for a creative curriculum, which, although linked to national curriculum objectives, seeks to reflect the particular interests and needs of our pupils at different stages of their development. Topics are planned with input and feedback from pupils and delivered in a creative, innovative way that stimulates engagement.
Topics chosen are cross curricular to ensure they cover a range of knowledge, skills and understanding relevant to more than one subject.
Pupils are encouraged to be active learners who evidence enquiring and critical minds when approaching new learning experiences. Topics embrace real-life contexts aimed at developing skills as diverse as formal letter writing and testing hypotheses.
At Fairfield Academy we use Read Write Inc and Oxford Reading Tree with support by other reading schemes.
The curriculum is divided into three stages: (i) The Foundation Stage, based on Early Learning Goals. (ii) Key Stage 1 and (iii) Key Stage 2. Work in KS1 and KS2 is based on the National Curriculum.
- Nursery/FS1 (3-4 year olds) & Reception/FS2 (4-5 year olds.)
- Infants (5-7 year olds) comprising Years 1 & 2.
- Juniors (7-11 year olds) comprising Years 3 to Year 6.
In foundation stage classes we aim to offer a stimulating introduction to school life.
The key to a successful start at school is establishing a good relationship between the home and the school.
At this age, children need to focus on developing basic skills. The school supports the principles for early years set out by the department of education. Staff work hard to ensure that children feel involved, secure and valued at school.
The areas of learning and early learning goals for this stage are:
- Personal, social and emotional development
- Communication, language and literacy
- Numeracy development
- Knowledge and understanding of the world
- Physical development
- Creative development
National Curriculum: Key Stages 1 & 2
The National Curriculum starts with Year 1.
The school’s schemes of work, exemplar schemes and curriculum policies ensure coverage and progression in the national curriculum at levels appropriate for individual pupils.
Pupils are currently taught in either whole-year groups or mixed-year groups. Pupils are divided into ability groups for core-curriculum subjects (Maths, English, and Science). Whenever it is necessary to split a year-group to balance class sizes, careful consideration is given to the best arrangements for pupils. Decisions are arrived at through joint consultation with staff, governors and parents.
The National Curriculum comprises of
- English (Literacy)
- Maths (Numeracy)
- Religious Education
- Design Technology
- Physical Education
- Personal, Social & Health Education (PSHE)
- Modern Foreign Languages (French is taught to pupils in KS2)
For further information about the curriculum followed at Fairfield Academy please contact us.
David Ross Education Trust and British Values
The Trust is very supportive of the ethos of promoting British Values, and preparing our pupils for success in a modern Britain.
A heavy reliance is placed upon broadening horizons for each and every child and this includes developing the core skills of tolerance, respect, teamwork, resilience and building self-esteem. These are all values and qualities that we feel are relevant in order to play a full and meaningful role in society, and are promoted via our extensive house system that lends itself to cultural and sporting competition, democratic principles, social mixing, the development of greater pastoral care and enhanced PSHE.
- Fairfield Art Curriculum Intent
- Fairfield British Values
- Fairfield Computing Curriculum Intent
- Fairfield DT Curriculum Intent
- Fairfield Foundation Curriculum Overview
- Fairfield Geography Curriculum Intent
- Fairfield History Curriculum Intent
- Fairfield Maths Curriculum Intent
- Fairfield MFL Curriculum Intent
- Fairfield Music Curriculum Intent
- Fairfield Oracy Curriculum Intent
- Fairfield PE Curriculum Intent
- Fairfield PSHE Curriculum Intent
- Fairfield RE Curriculum Intent
- Fairfield Reading Curriculum Intent
- Fairfield Science Curriculum Intent
- Fairfield Writing Curriculum Intent
- Fairfield Year 1 Curriculum Overview
- Fairfield Year 2 Curriculum Overview
- Fairfield Year 3 4 Curriculum Overview
- Fairfield Year 5 6 Curriculum Overview